SKATE CANADA PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Skate Canada is committed to ensuring that all skaters have the opportunity to participate in a safe and welcoming environment that is encouraging and promotes their overall development. Parents have an enormous influence on skaters’ experiences in the sport. The quality of a skater’s experience is determined by their relationships with parents and the manner in which parents conduct themselves in the Skate Canada environment.
In this code “parents” shall refer to “parents and guardians”. This code applies to all
parents who are members of Skate Canada or have children who are members of Skate
Canada. Parents shall abide by this code at all times while participating in any Skate
Canada club or school, competition, or activity.
- All parents are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner consistent with the values of fair play, integrity, open communication and mutual respect
- Parents shall always model positive responsible behaviour and communicate with their son/daughter that they expect them to do the same. Parents will assume the major responsibility for their son/daughter’s on ice conduct and attitude.
- Parents shall at all times treat all individuals and property with dignity, courtesy and respect, including but not limited to skaters, coaches, officials, volunteers, other parents, and all other individuals that are part of the club, skating school, Section or Skate Canada.
- Parents shall refrain from any behaviour, or comments, which are profane, insulting,
harassing, sexist, racist, abusive, disrespectful or otherwise offensive without hostility or violence.
- Parents shall emphasize the importance of values like sportsmanship, respect,
cooperation, competition and teamwork to their son/daughter offering praise for
competing fairly, participation and skill development.
- Parents shall model and encourage their son/daughter to maintain a healthy balance
between skating and life. (i.e., school, other activities, social life, etc.)
- Parents shall model and encourage balanced, healthy food choices and subscribing to an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Parents shall set high, but reasonable expectations for their son/daughter’s
participation in skating focusing on development and enjoyment for the child.
- Parents shall instill confidence in their son/daughter’s ability and skill development,
always avoiding comparisons with other skaters.
- Parents shall celebrate the acquisition of skills and goals achieved by their
- Parents, along with the professional coach and the athlete, shall be considered
members of a team whose main concern is the child’s overall progress and
development. Parents shall respect that the professional coach is responsible and
empowered for the on‐ice and off‐ice development of the athlete. A parent’s role shall be to take a healthy interest in their child’s progress and development and be
responsible for the child’s nutrition, rest, adherence to off‐ice training regimen set by
the coach or other fitness professional, overall health, life‐balance, and moral and
- Parents shall ensure their son/daughter wears proper skating clothing and equipment.
- Parents shall openly support and uphold this code of conduct policy and take action and steps to ensure other parents follow and uphold this code of conduct policy.
- Parents shall adhere to the policies, procedures, rules, standards, and ethics of Skate Canada at all times